Saturday, May 23, 2009

THE RESISTANCE


Yesterday Muse announced that their fifth studio album would be called The Resistance. I'm excited. At first I thought it sounded too simple and ordinary to be a Muse album title but then I realised this was a stupid thing to think because after all their third album was Absolution which is one word less and that turned out pretty good. It's interesting it's called The Resistance because we've also heard that a track title will be called United States of Eurasia, which is possibly a reference to George Orwell's 1984 in which the United States of Eurasia were the non-communists. Well they were the ones fighting against the main characters' nation which was the opressive ones and had the Big Brother type thing going on. I've only read half the book so my knowledge of the canon is sketchy at best, but that's what I remember... but my point is that this makes sense with the title in a slightly obscure way because the characters attempted to fight against the opressive nation in the book hence "the resistance". So maybe the theme of the album will be loosely based on the themes of 1984... which to me, sounds a bit odd, I mean why would Muse write songs about a book? And I mean, we all know the only book you can write music about is Harry Potter right? =P

Although from memory I do recall Origin of Symmetry, (the title that is not the whole album) was inspired from some book written by some conspiracy theorist. Or something like that. So in summary, I have no idea what this means for how the album is going to turn out and it was just my Lit/Harry Potter nerdiness that made me analyse the heck out of the minimal information I have collected in the reservoir known as my brain.

But I'm sure The Resistance with be awesome. And to celebrate here's a screencap from HAARP that I made myself, with a (maybe) funny caption that I also made myself.



MATT: No, seriously guys, the microphone is stuck to my forehead...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"The resistance is measured in ohms!" Hahaha. <3 Yay for HP making us over-analyse everything! It's always more interesting that way. When will the CD be released?